Handling difficult conversations is an inevitable part of people management.
In this fast-changing Covid-19 world, many of our organisations are having to consider their future shape and begin some form of change management. However large or small scale this might be, it will inevitably have a knock-on effect for our staff – here in the UK and overseas. And there will be plenty of difficult conversations to be had within this.
We all have a tendency to put off difficult conversations because of the intensity and complexity of the emotions they arouse – both for those initiating the conversation and for the person they are speaking with. Fear of how people will react and whether you will be able to handle their reactions, our own feelings of vulnerability, or a concern about a loss of control can make us all reluctant to raise an issue face to face.
Using a combination of presentation, discussion and case studies, during our time together we will explore the following areas:
- How can we approach difficult conversations in a way that produces a better outcome for everyone? What are the underpinning principles
- How should we prepare for these kinds of discussions?
- How can we manage the exchange so that it goes as smoothly as possible?
- How do we find the right words in the moment?
- What skills, mindset and behaviour will help us to maximise our ability to handle the conversation effectively?
- And how can we ensure we get what we need from hard conversations – while also keeping relationships intact?
Our speaker is Mary Potter from the Conciliation Service of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland.
- The event starts at 9:30am (waiting room open from 9:15am) and finishes at 12 noon.
- You will receive the invitation and password for the webinar in the confirmation email upon booking - please keep an eye on your emails (including your spam or junk mail folders). A reminder will be sent out by 5pm on Wednesday 19th May.
Booking is essential
NOTE: Bookings will close at 3:00pm on Wednesday 19th May.
The cost is £15 to people from GC and MAP member agencies and churches, and £45 for those from non-member organisations. If you are not sure if your church or organisation is a member of GC, please check with them to confirm or see if they feature on our List of Members page.
By registering, you are giving Global Connections permission to send you information and details relating to this specific event. We send communications via Mailchimp and Eventbrite and you can update your preferences and unsubscribe at any time. You can read our Privacy Notice here. Please note that if you unsubscribe prior to the event you may miss crucial information relating to the event itself.