This is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to oversee the financial stewardship of a thriving church family in North London.
The Financial Controller reports to the Vicar as a member of the Heads of Ministries team, and works closely with the Church Treasurer. They hold responsibility for managing the finance area. This includes producing financial and management accounts, ensuring compliance with legislation, and managing the Finance assistants. The income for St James is about £750k and includes various restricted and unrestricted funds.
The Finance team also serves as a resource for the church family by assisting with their giving and providing transparency in the way donor funds are used by the church. They also serve the parish staff, handling all aspects of ministry finance. This can require additional time beyond scheduled tasks. As a member of the staff team, the Financial Controller actively participates in the life of the Church.
Key Responsibilities of Role:
- Overall responsibility for management accounting, reporting and controls, online donations, cash, credit card sales, website income, and payroll.
- Producing a draft of the year end statutory accounts.
- Oversee annual audits and examinations of PCC’s accounts, financial statements. Collaborate closely with auditors to audit year-end account
- appropriate annual financial return documents for HMRC, Diocese, and Charity Commission
- monthly management accounts for the Standing committee and PCC;
- periodic reports for Buildings Committee, World Mission Group (WMG) and other ministry heads, as required.
- Responsible for all income and expenditure processing, including posting transactions on the accounting system.
- Production of budget forecasts, participation in the annual budget process, led by the Treasurer for the PCC.
- Preparation and submission of monthly Gift-Aid claim forms to HMRC.
- Responsible for Payroll Administration
- Responsible for liaising/ correspondence with various banks
- Support budget holders/ ministry heads with budget updates.
Person & Capability Specification
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
- Relevant equivalent experience, ideally part qualified accountant:
- Knowledge of charity accounting regulations and reporting requirements.
- Knowledge and experience in financial and management accounting.
- Proven track record in producing accurate and timely financial and management accounts.
- Proficiency in Accounting software and tools, such as SAGE and good IT skills and familiarity with Excel.
- Good organisational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritise tasks effectively.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work collaboratively and establish effective working relationships with the Clergy & staff, Treasurer, and other stakeholders.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience working in a similar role within a charitable or non-profit organisation.
- Understanding of legislation and experience ensuring compliance within the context of churches, charities, and non-profit organisations.
- Understanding of the specific financial challenges and considerations in a church or religious organisation context.
- Understanding of Payroll, pension, and insurance schemes relevant to the church context.
There is a Genuine Occupational Requirement for the successful applicant to be a committed Christian, wholeheartedly supporting the beliefs and ethos of St James (https://www.st-james.org.uk/be...).
The role is subject to a basic DBS Check. St James’ Safeguarding policies can be accessed at https://www.st-james.org.uk/safeguarding. Appropriate training will be mandatory.