There are many practical matters to consider when thinking about getting involved in mission long-term.
This resource helps you to begin to address some of these issues as you consider your involvement in world mission:
- How should my church be involved?
- How do I raise financial support?
- How do I deal with concerns from my family?
How should my church be involved?
The relationship between your sending church and the organisation you choose to work with is very important. It needs to be a real partnership and a committed relationship with responsibilities and expectations on both sides.
- Your home church has a key role in sending you and is the place to begin - mission agencies and organisations exist to help churches fulfil God’s mandate for world mission, not the other way round.
- It is also important that you are already active in a local church in the UK if you wish to be considered for long-term mission work in the UK or overseas.
- Talk with your church leaders and others in the church who know you best, and use their wisdom to help you in the decision-making process. Your church (and others) can help in discerning your 'call', giving ongoing pastoral care, praying for you, and supporting you practically and financially. The mission agency / organisation will help equip you for service, care for and support you, resource, inform and journey with you.
- Your church also needs to help you look for a ‘fit’ with any organisation you are thinking you might go with. Do you and your church share their vision and values? Check out their mission and vision statements. If possible, go along to one of their events in the UK to meet some of the team and learn more.
- The other area your church and organisations can help you with is in determining where there is most need in the world. Think and pray about your involvement in those areas and places where people are most unreached. Be prepared to be challenged or re-directed. Perhaps there is more need for you in places or projects which you haven’t yet considered?
- Most importantly, pray and talk with your church leaders right from the start, and look for an opportunity with the attitude that it’s a chance for you to serve God and his church throughout the world, rather than focussing solely on what you initially think is best for yourself – you might be amazed at how God could use you.